Friday, August 22, 2014

What is ALS?

You cannot go on any social network without seeing an ALS Ice Bucket Challenge. Almost every celebrity and friend that I know are doing it. You can ask anybody in the world and they will know what is is. This challenge is raising awareness for such an amazing organization, The ALS Association, but after asking people about the challenge, only a few people actually knew what ALS is. ALS is one of the saddest diseases in the world. In a matter of months a person can go from their perfectly healthy self to being bedridden for the rest of their life. Slowly, their whole body shuts down making them lose all functions to the body including digestion, movement and responsiveness. Eventually they will become unable to walk, speak and use their hands and feet. Through all of this, their mind still functions at full capacity. It is physically and emotionally draining for the family and the person with ALS. I can't even begin to imagine the hardship they face. After watching this video from Anthony Carbajal, a California based photographer, you see what he goes through when his grandmother and mother has ALS and when he himself goes through living with ALS. It is 

Watch Anthony's video here

After doing the Ice Bucket Challenge myself and seeing hundreds of Ice Bucket Challenges from my friends and celebrities, I do not feel like I made enough impact on ALS. I am going to donate $50 to the ALS Association in my name. It's not a lot, but it's what I can give. I strongly encourage that you give some money too even if that is only $10 - $20.

I hope this post educated you more on ALS and that you will share this information with your loved ones. Please share this post with your family and friends so we can spread the message and raise awareness to this disease.

Together we can make a difference. Together we can find a cure to ALS. 


xx Nathan

Donate here
Find out more about ALS here


No comments:

Post a Comment